The Canada-Sri Lanka Business Council and its members welcome Mr. Thushara Rodrigo as the new Consul Genera for Sri Lankan in Toronto. A committed member of the Sri Lanka Foreign Service, Mr. Rodrigo joined the Sri Lanka Foreign Service in 2003 and 19 years of his service at present. He brings with him a stellar career in the foreign service and we are honoured to work with Mr. Rodrigo in furthering our objectives.
Mr. Rodrigo served as the Chief of Protocol of the Foreign Ministry of Sri Lanka from 16th August 2019 to 14th January 2022.
Prior to this assignment, Mr. Rodrigo has served as the Minister/Head of Chancery of the Embassy of Sri Lanka in Washington D.C. from May 2015 to June 2019. He held responsibilities of handling Sri Lanka’s engagements with World Bank and International Monetary Fund (IMF). Mr. Rodrigo represented Sri Lanka in official delegations to the Spring meetings and Annual Meetings of the IMF & World Bank in the years of 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
In addition to these portfolios, Mr. Rodrigo had served as the main Point of Contact of the Embassy of Sri Lanka in Washington D.C. to the Sri Lanka Diaspora and for the engagements with Think Tanks based in the United States.
Also Mr. Rodrigo was the main administrative point of contact of the Embassy to the US Department of State, US Police and Secret Service, facilitating engagements of the Head of Mission with the members of the US Congress and Senate and their staffers, officials of Pentagon and the US Department of Justice.
He represented Sri Lanka in UN General Assembly in New York in 2004, 2015 and 2021.
He has followed a Diplomatic Training Program at Near East South Asia-NESA Center for Strategic Studies of the University of Defence in Washington D.C.
Mr. Rodrigo has served in the following important positions during his career.
• Deputy Chief of Protocol, Ministry of Foreign Affairs – From 2013 to 2015 As the Deputy Chief of Protocol, he managed many State visits and high-level visits, including the visits of the UN Secretary General, visit of the US Secretary of State to Sri Lanka. Also, he immensely contributed for the organizing of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting 2013 (CHOGM 2013) held in Colombo collaborating with the Commonwealth Secretariat.
• Assistant Chief of Protocol, Ministry of Foreign Affairs – From 2012 to 2013
• Consul of the Sri Lanka Consulate General in Mumbai, India – From 2009 to 2012
• Second Secretary, Embassy of Sri Lanka in Hanoi, Vietnam –
🥚 From 2005 to 2008 – Mr.Rodrigo had worked as the Head of Chancery
• Assistant Director/ UN & Multilateral Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs – From 2003 to 2005.
Mr. Rodrigo achieved his foreign language proficiency in Korean language from the Ajou University of South Korea.
He has obtained his Masters in International Politics from the University of Mumbai and Master in Conflict and Peace Studies from the University of Colombo.
He is a graduate of the University of Colombo in Sri Lanka with BA Second Class.
Before he joined the Sri Lanka Foreign Service, he had served in several Government and semi- Governmental Organizations in Sri Lanka.
Mr. Rodrigo is 49 years old, married and a father of two children